Santa Maria ISD will Close all Schools
October 26, 2020
Dear SMISD Parents and Staff:
Thank you for your continued patience during this evolving situation. As with all our work, student and staff health and safety is our highest priority. Due to recent events with the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) in our District, we are taking the necessary precautions to disinfect the schools and prevent the spread of illness. Santa Maria ISD will close all schools (TGE, Middle School, and High School) for In-Person Instruction and will continue to offer Synchronous (LIVE) Instruction and Asynchronous Instruction to all students remotely for the following days:
Tuesday through Friday – (October 27-30, 2020)
In-Person Instruction will resume on Monday, November 2, 2020.
Breakfast/Lunch Meals will be distributed from 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM at the same locations as follows:
• Bus # 3 will be Stationed - At Santa Maria North on Dominguez Circle North. To provide meals for students from siesta circle Estates as well.
• Bus# 2 Will be Stationed - At El Rosal Subdivision On El Rosal South St. to provide meals for students from Blue town as well.
• Bus# 6 Will be stationed - At La Gloria Subdivision on Seledina St. to provide meals for students from east Military Highway 281 as well.
• Students from The town of Santa Maria, Santa Maria Loop and 1st. & 2nd Colonia can pick up their meals curbside at the Cafeteria area.
At this time, we believe that is the right step to take for the health and safety of our families, employees, and the community at large — specially to protect our students and employees who are at greater risk due to age and other complications.
We will use this time that school is closed to develop the following measures:
• Finalize daily systematic approach to disinfect all schools and buses
• Develop flexible and remote learning options for all K-12 students
• Coordinate food service options for our children in need
Because of the magnitude of this decision, I ask that you please reach out to your campus Principal with individual requests and needs. They will serve as the first contacts for funneling communications throughout the district.
We are committed to providing you with timely and accurate updates on the best recommendations and guidance from our public health authorities. We’ll continue monitoring the situation and proceed on a week-by-week basis.
Superintendent of Schools